Sunday, July 26, 2009

Back to the drawing board!

But not for long as I only have this week (minus two evenings and every day except Friday which is my day off ) to get the dress finished! It turns out that what L wanted was really a drape that looked like a hood, which is apparently what is on a graduation gown.

Fzxdoc on stitchers guild posted this picture for me and when L saw it she said that it was exactly what she wanted!! While she liked the dress we (I) muslined, she really wanted something very simple, singlet/tank style top with empire line and the drape starting at the shoulders. I can get the drape effect she wants if I fold the square of fabric in half on the bias and hang the points from her shoulders - it was that simple!

So, todays job is to trace another pattern (I could go to Spotlight, but by the time I do I could probably have traced the bodice - we are using the original skirt pattern) and then compare it to the bodice I already made a muslin of - which fits. It is possible I may need more of the brown fabric and I have to get some piping cord - so a trip to Spotlight might be on the cards anyway. She doesn't want a lot of the brown elsewhere on the dress, but we thought maybe some piping round the empire line would break it up and relate to the drape.

Watch this space.............!

4 comments:

The Small Fabric Of My Life said...

I am so in awe of you. I wish I coudl sew!

kiltsnquilts said...

Jane, don't be too much in awe, there are a lot of people out there who are much more talented than me - you only have to read some of the blogs on my blog list to see that, but thank you anyway :-) It gives me a lot of pleasure and I wish I had more time to do it! I however am in awe of you - because you can hula!!

~Tessa~Scoffs said...

Hi! I just wanted to say I saw what you posted on "Fashionably Later" (Kayleigh's blog). I had a similar experience that started me blogging over a year ago. I had been reading "La Belette Rouge" and was moved to tears by one of her posts in which she wrote of her struggle with infertility. Much like you de-lurked to post a comment on Kayleigh's blog, I did the same for La Belette Rouge. You will find this blogging community very supporting and friendly. I will come back to read more about sewing. I like to crochet but can't do much more than blankets and scarves. Nice to meet you!

Anonymous said...

Hi! It's HeatherB from over at Stitcher's Guild. I'm the one who's going to be "going grey". I'm heading out the door now for my first haircut in going cold turkey to start cutting off my haircolor and I'm pretty excited about it.